Friday, February 4, 2011

Vanessa

Meet Vanessa.
Vanessa had a lot of color in her hair. A lot.
Vanessa had been on my books for a couple weeks before I actually met her. I was
over joyed to see that I had a "Color Cleanse" on my schedule because I had never done one before, and also because its a high end skill that not many people know how to do properly. The day before Vanessa came in, I decided to do a test run of the process to see what I would be dealing with... For those of you who don't know what this could result in, here is a good side by side comparison.




Woah!





So this is generally what a Color Cleanse does. It takes the color.. out of the hair. Hence the "cleanse" portion of the title. Doing this is a real ordeal considering it is "Corrective Color" basically and means you have to also end up usually matching the tone you end up with with another color and the roots of the hair may/ may not lift so its basically a matching game. Then the color you may apply may take too light or it may be too dark, sometimes, its a guessing game.
Vanessa, bless her heart had picked a 6/7 Red Orange color that she
felt comfortable with. Since we were starting with a dark brown/ black color the chances of this lifting to the appropriate NRP necess
ary for this color to actually work were pretty good. I was really happy with her choice too as she can pull off red like no other. My instructor Shae was teaching me as we went and I was pretty grateful for that, because if she wouldn't have been there I would have been a little overwhelmed. Not gonna lie. She and Miss Parisia made the formulas for the final color we applied, but thats about ten steps away from where we are now.
We went through and did the color cleanse, then went back through and applied 10 volume and enlightener to her scalp basically to get her roots to lift, and after THAT we applied a toner at the shampoo bed (yes, thats right, my school has shampoo beds!), brought her back to the station and finished by applying two different red formulas, one
dark one for her newgrowth and one light one for her ends so we could even everything out. It was a long battle but she was a GREAT guest, often going along with my (and Shae's..) corny jokes and appreciating the fact I bought magazines earlier that day for her to read through the whole 5 hour ish process. I never knew how fast I could really do a color retouch until today, since we had to do color melting for the two last formulas. "You don't want the one color to expire as you are touching up the newgrowth, so you have to hurry!! Just slap it on.. Accurately!" -Shae, haha. Thankfully I hadn't mixed up the lighter color, yet so we weren't in too bad of shape anyhow.
The final product was GORGEOUS. I was SO happy about a few things.
  1. First and foremost the color was beautiful. No evil halo lurking about here, no color discrepancy, nothing.
  2. My guest was elated. Vanessa was so happy to have a color other than her long time favorite of box black on her head, and she was glad she could pull off red! (She has beautiful green eyes..)
  3. The color looked NATURAL. Who would have known? Aveda reds ARE great.
  4. Her curls still curled up into their natural spirals, which we both were very, very happy to see. After that much processing we weren't sure if her hair would be so soft or if her hair would even have a wave to it.
We fixed her up with a bit of deep conditioning Damage Remedy conditioning treatments as well as a bit of Beautifying Oil to help replenish and re-moisturize her hair. I suggested that she use Madder Root Shampoo and Conditioner to keep her red very vibrant and alive, and also suggested she come back for a little bit of a trim once shes back from visiting her daughter in the Caribbean in a couple weeks.
Overall, a wonderful service. Yes, we were both tired, we both ha
d been anxious and I had a couple moments, but it was overall a very rewarding experience meeting such a lovely lady and providing her with some hair she can actually play with now it isn't coated with black anymore. I am excited to see her again for the hair 'trim' as we have decided to call it, since she doesn't want to lose much length until the summer. Such a good day.

P.S. Shae, this one's for you.. ha!

1 comment:

vincent said...

Great job! Her hair looks wonderful! Good one of Shae too! :)