Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Braiding Class.

Well. Let's just admit it. Some people can braid- some can't. I'm one of those people where if I work hard enough on something then, bada bing, I will get it and eventually master it. For braiding, that 'eventually' is a really questionable word.
Cornrows, fishtails, knots, rope braids, basket weaves, underhand, overhand, Frenchbraid.. Plaits, One strand, Two strand, Three strand.. Four?? Five??? Oh yeah. The possibilities are endless with braiding. I can't tell you how big of an impact it has on fashion one way or another. Somewhere on one of those huge wigs you see there is a cornrow where it is fashioned onto the scalp/ head, or there are hairstyles where the braid ITSELF is the hairstyle. Any magazine you look weather it is http://www.runwaybeauty.com/'s Runway Magazine, Modern Salon (http://modernsalon.com/), or more publicly known Elle (http://www.elle.com/), there are plaits and locks of some sort. The fashion industry, unlike quite a few times before is swarming with braids.. And I love it.
Like I said before, I am NO natural braider. My instructor Lisa noticed today that I work with all of my fingers, which can be good and bad. Good because that means I have some dexterity, bad because learning new ways of braiding can be difficult. It's funny she noticed this as well for me, personally, because I often have trouble learning new patterns to fingerpick with on my guitar. Same issue.
I found that the Overhand method of braiding a single plait wasn't too bad. After a few times practicing a French Braid I sure got it pretty solid and consistent, but then bam- time to try the Underhand single plait which I had to watch and then Cornrowing.

Frustration. Anxiety. Annoyed. All over what? A single braid. A single braid.

I had to let go and just breathe. So, I watched what I was really doing, really, really watched.. and then.. I got it. I did it. And after I did it one time, I did it another.. and another.. and another. And surprisingly, everything came out nice and consistent. Now I just have to work on perfecting that consistency and then perhaps my speed. Haste makes waste though, according to Horst Rechelbacher, so perhaps I should just wait.
Anyhow, a plus of everything today was that also, I discovered how to make those HUGE overly exaggerated editorial fashion photos we have all seen. Those are the kind of things I would like to do in my future, and guess what? A lot of the hair.. Is synthetic. Most of those ridiculous hairstyles you see, the big updos for fashion shows? Synthetic.
Luckily for me, this stuff isn't expensive and I took a classmate with me to a store recommended by a few other classmates called the "Infinity 99 cent store." I got lost in there with no problem, seeing as the WHOLE BACK WALL was HAIR. It was beautiful. I could have stayed there all day and night for all I care. Either way, I left with quite a few different textures and types of hair to help me out on any of my quests with competitions and other hair related escapades.

I guess thats what my future holds. Perhaps I'll post some work in progress shots of all of this at some point, maybe when I get a little better! :)

Anyhow, don't ever get discouraged about learning how to braid because theres always something you can do to help it- youtube is a great source for example, or I'm sure there are online drawings somewhere. Just google it! Don't be scared or intimidated because braids can bring a whole new look to you.

Thanks for reading!





1 comment:

vincent said...

Enjoyed this one honey! :) I have to say, I know you remember- your mama NEVER had the French braid thing down... NEVER could do it! It killed me! Lisa doing her girls/hers- broke my heart! LOL!